Shelsley Beauchamp or Great Shelsley, Worcestershire
Shelsley Beauchamp or Great Shelsley, a township and a parish in Worcestershire. The township lies on the river Teme, 3 miles NW of Martley, and 8 SW of Stourport, and has a post office under Worcester; money order and telegraph office, Stanford Bridge. Acreage, 1284; population, 253. The parish contains also the civil parish of Shelsley Kings, and comprises 2318 acres; population, 498. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Dudley. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1846, and restored in 1859. The altar is a massive stone slab, and there is a handsome reredos. The remains of a preaching cross are in the churchyard. There is a reformatory for boys at Woodbury Hill.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shelsley-Beauchamp All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Martley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shelsley Beauchamp or Great Shelsley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shelsley-Beauchamp (All Saints))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Shelsley Beauchamp or Great Shelsley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.