Severn Stoke, Worcestershire
Severn Stoke, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands on the river Severn, 3 miles N of Upton-on-Severn. It commands fine views of the Malvern Hills, was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Worcester. The parish contains also the hamlet of Kinnersley, and comprises 3326 acres; population, 653. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Coventry. Severn Bank and Spring Bank are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £578 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is chiefly Early English, with some Norman traces and a tower of the Decorated period. It was restored in 1890.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Severn Stoke St. Denis|
|Poor Law union||Upton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Severn Stoke from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stoke, Severn (St. Denis))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Severn Stoke are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cKinnersley
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.