Salwarpe, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, on the Salwarpe river and the Droitwich Canal, 2 miles SW by W of Droitwich. Post office, Droitwich. Acreage, 1914; population of the civil parish, 409; of the ecclesiastical, 416. Salwarpe Court is an old half-timbered house, formerly the residence of the Talbot family, and now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £330 with residence. The church was partly restored and partly rebuilt in 1848 and 1885, and has some Norman arches, Decorated aisles, and a Perpendicular tower. It contains a piscina, sedilia, a recumbent effigy of a priest of 1400, and tombs of the Talbot family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Salwarpe St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Droitwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Salwarpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Salwarpe (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Salwarpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.