Rock, a parish in Worcestershire, 5 miles SE of Cleobury Mortimer, and 4½ SW of Bewdley. It has a post and money order office under Bewdley; telegraph office, Bewdley. It includes the chapelry of Heightington, the constablewicks of Alton, Lower Lindon, Upper Lindon, Hollin-with-Stildon, Rock-with-Sneade, and Moor-with-Conningswick, and the ecclesiastical district of Far Forest. The parish comprises 8772 acres; population of civil parish, 1603; of the ecclesiastical, 933. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £637 with residence. The church is mainly Norman, partly of the 15th century, and was restored in 1861, with the exception of the tower, which was restored in 1881. Near the church are the ancient stocks and whipping post. A chapel of ease of 13th-century date, dedicated to St Giles and restored in 1892, is at Heightington, and a Wesleyan chapel is at Callow Hill.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rock St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Cleobury-Mortimer|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Rock (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Rock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cAlton
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.