Powick, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands on a rising ground near the confluence of the rivers Teme and Severn, 3 miles W by S of Worcester, and 6 NE of Malvern, commands fine views along the valleys of the rivers, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Worcester. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bastonford, Pole Elm, and Callow End. Acreage, 5250; population of the civil parish, 2793; of the ecclesiastical, 2748. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Coventry and Earl Beauchamp. Slaughter's Court is a college for the blind sons of gentlemen. Beauchamp Court was anciently a seat of the Beauchamps, and has left some remains at a farmhouse. The Worcestershire Pauper Lunatic Asylum, on an eminence 1½ mile S of the church, is a red brick structure with accommodation for over 1000 inmates. A Benedictine convent is at Stanbrook; was originally founded at Salford in Warwickshire near the close of the 18th century; was removed to its present site about 1843; and includes a school for young ladies. A Roman Catholic abbey, erected in 1871, is adjacent. An old bridge on the Teme was the scene of a defeat of Colonel Sands in 1642 by Prince Rupert, and has been superseded by a handsome cast-iron bridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is cruciform, ranging from Norman to Perpendicular, and has been carefully restored. It contains some good memorial windows and numerous monuments. There is a Congregational chapel. Powick gives the title of Baron to Earl Beauchamp.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Powick St. Peter and St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Upton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Powick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Powick (St. Peter and St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Powick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cCallow End
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.