Pirton, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, 1 mile W of Wadborough station on the M.R., 5 miles SE of Worcester, and 5 WNW of Pershore. Post town, Worcester; money order and telegraph office, Kempsey. Acreage of parish, 1690; population, 177. Pirton Court, a fine old timbered manor house, is now a farmhouse. Pirton Pool is a small lake surrounded by magnificent cedars. The property belongs to the Earl of Coventry. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Croome D'Abitot, in the diocese of Worcester; joint net value, £385 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is small, partly Norman, partly of later dates, with an Elizabethan timbered tower. It was restored in 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pirton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Pershore|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pirton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pirton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Pirton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.