Offenham, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands on the river Avon, 1 mile S of the boundary with Warwickshire, and 2 miles NNE of Evesham. It has a station, called Littleton and Badsey, on the Oxford and Worcester section of the G.W.R., and a post office under Evesham; money order and telegraph office, Evesham. A working-men's club and reading-room was erected in 1887. The parish comprises 1235 acres; population, 563. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belonged anciently to the abbots of Evesham, and fragments and extensive foundations of a mansion of the abbots were discovered a few years ago in diggings near the present manor farmhouse. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £293 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1861, is in the Early Decorated style, comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, and retains the tower of the previous edifice, of Late Perpendicular date and embattled. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Offenham St. Milburgh|
|Poor Law union||Evesham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Offenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Offenham (St. Milburgh))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Offenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.