Oddingley, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands near the Worcester and Birmingham Canal, 2½ miles SSE of Droitwich. Post town, Droitwich. The parish comprises 894 acres; population, 152. It contains part of the hamlet of Dunhampstead, which has a goods station on the M.R. The manor belongs to the Galton family. Netherwood Farm was the scene of a tragical occurrence in 1806. The living is a rectory, united with that of Hadsor, in the diocese of Worcester; joint net value, £246. The church is of the time of Richard II., cruciform and good, and has some old stained glass windows and a tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oddingley St. James the Apostle|
|Poor Law union||Droitwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oddingley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Oddingley (St. James the Apostle))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Oddingley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.