Northfield, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands 2½ miles S of the boundary with Staffordshire, and 5½ W by S of Birmingham, to which it is suburban. It has a station on the Birmingham and Bristol section of the M.R., which is also the junction of the Halesowen and King's Norton line owned jointly by the G.W.R. and M.R., and a post and money order office under Birmingham; telegraph office, King's Norton. The parish is divided into the yields of Selly, Hay, Shendley, and Bartley, and is traversed by the river Rea, and by the Birmingham and Worcester and the Netherton Canals. Acreage, 6011; population of the civil parish, 9907; of the ecclesiastical, 2412. The ecclesiastical parish of Selly Oak was separated in 1862; population, 7495. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. Weoley Castle belonged to the Botetourts, the Berkeleys, and the Jervoises, and is now a ruin. The land is hilly. Nail-making is carried on, and there are brick works. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Bartley Green, in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £223 with residence. Patron, Keble College, Oxford. The church is chiefly Early English and Decorated, and contains many stained windows. A chapel of ease is at Bartley Green. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Northfield St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Kings-Norton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Northfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Northfield (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.