Newland, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Great Malvern parish, Worcestershire, under the Malvern Hills, 2 miles NE of Great Malvern. There is a post office, called Newland Green, under Malvern; money order and telegraph office, Malvern Link. Acreage of township, 800; population, 221. The manor belonged formerly to Malvern Priory. Newland Court was the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £50. Patrons, the Trustees of Lord Beauchamp's Charity. The old church was a curious timbered structure, supposed to date from 1415, and was taken down in 1866. A stone cross, 23 leet high, has been erected on the site of its chancel, and forms a conspicuous object in a considerable extent of landscape. The new church is the chapel of the Beauchamp almshouses. The sum of £60,000 was left by the third Earl Beauchamp to provide almshouses for old men and women who have been engaged in agriculture. The almshouses are a range of handsome brick buildings connected with the church by a cloister. The church is a handsome stone edifice in the Early Decorated style, and is decorated in the interior with a series of mural paintings in spirit fresco.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newland St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Upton-upon-Severn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Newland (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Newland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.