Netherton (Dudley), Worcestershire
Netherton, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Dudley parish, Worcestershire. The village stands on the Stourbridge Canal, near the boundary with Staffordshire, 1½ mile S of Dudley. It has a station on the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Dudley. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1844. Population, 12,418. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dudley. There are some good residences. Mineral springs, similar to those of Cheltenham, with baths, are at Saltwells Wood. Scythes, spades, shovels, boilers, iron tanks, iron boats, gasometers, and chain cables are extensively manufactured; coal and ironstone are mined; and there are breweries and malthonses. A public hall, free library, police and fire station was erected in 1895. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Dudley. The church was built in 1830 and was restored in 1886. It stands on an eminence, and is a conspicuous object for many miles round. There are chapels of ease at Darby End and Dudley Wood. There are Baptist, Congregational, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and New Connexion Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dudley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Netherton (Dudley) from the following:
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.