Moseley, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in King's Norton and Yardley parishes, Worcestershire. The village stands on the N verge of the county, 3 miles S of the centre of Birmingham, of which it is a suburb; is a pleasant and picturesque place, and has a station on the M.R. and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Birmingham. The ecclesiastical parish includes the village, and was constituted in 1853. Population, 5304. Moseley Hall, erected in place of the mansion destroyed by the rioters in 1791, is now a Children's Convalescent Home, having been presented in 1892 to the Mayor of Birmingham by Mr Cadbury. There are many good residences, among which is Highbury, the seat of the Right Hon. Joseph Chamberlain, M.P. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £350 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Bromsgrove. The church has a tower of the time of Henry VIII., and was enlarged in 1873. The church of St Agnes was erected in 1884 as a chapel of ease. A portion of the parish was separated in 1875 to form the ecclesiastical parish of St Anne. Population, 1906. The church of St Anne was erected in 1874. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||King's Norton|
|Poor Law union||Kings-Norton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Moseley from the following:
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Moseley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.