Mathon, a parish in Worcestershire, under the Malvern Hills, adjacent to Herefordshire, 3 miles W of Great Malvern. It contains part of the ecclesiastical parish of West Malvern, and has a post office under Great Malvern; money order and telegraph office, West Malvern. Acreage, 3441; population of the civil parish, 1203; of the ecclesiastical, 379. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Mathon Court is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £230 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is Norman, with 15th-century additions, comprises nave and chancel with a tower, and contains a fine old carved pulpit, a new octagonal stone font, and monuments of several ancient families.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mathon St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Ledbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mathon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Mathon (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.