Martley, a village, a parish, and the head of a poor-law union in Worcestershire. The village stands on a pretty spot, near the river Teme, 2 miles from the boundary with Herefordshire, 4½ N of Knightwick station on the Worcester and Bromyard branch of the G.W.R., and 8 NW by W of Worcester, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Worcester. The parish contains also the hamlets of Hill Top, Horsham, Borrow Green, and Prickley Green. Acreage, 4421; population, 979. It has a parish council of seven members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dudley. The Noak is the seat of the Nash family, in whose possession it has been since the reign of Charles II. On the summit of Borrow Hill, which commands extensive views, are the remains of an ancient entrenchment. The workhouse was erected in 1838. Hops and fruit are extensively grown. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £500 with residence. The church is partly Norman, partly Decorated and Perpendicular; the vestry was built in 1876, and the south porch in 1884; the chancel contains a recumbent alabaster effigy of Sir Hugh Mortimer of the time of Henry VI. There is an institute for young men.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Martley St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Martley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Martley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Martley (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Martley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cHill Hampton (Martley)
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.