Longdon, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands 2 miles W of the Severn, 2½ SSW of Upton-on-Severn, and 4 NW of Tewkesbnry, and has a post office under Tewkesbury; money order and telegraph office, Upton-on-Severn. The parish contains also the hamlets of Hill-worth, Hillend, Eastington, Long Green, and Ham Common. Acreage, 3941; population, 495. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Chamber's Court is the chief residence. Eastington Hall, now a farmhouse, is a good specimen of a timber-bnilt house of the 15th century. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £225 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is a brick (stuccoed) structure in mixed style, and was erected in 1786 on the site of the original church, the tower of which is retained; it contains a brass of 1523, some marble tablets, and stained windows. A stone apsidal chancel was added in 1870.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Longdon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Upton-upon-Severn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Longdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Longdon (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Longdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cHillworth
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.