Little Comberton, Worcestershire
Comberton, Little, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, adjacent to the river Avon, 3½ miles ENE of Eckington station on the M.R., and 2¼ SE of Pershore, with a post office under Pershore; money order and telegraph office, Pershore. Acreage, 790; population, 252. Roman coins and pottery have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £241 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Comberton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Pershore|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from the year 1591; marriages and burials, 1586.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel with north aisle and organ chamber, nave, transept, north porch and an embattled western tower of Early Perpendicular date, with pinnacles, and containing a clock and 6 bells; the porch bears the date 1639, but the north doorway is Norman and has an interesting tympanum, exhibiting a plain cross surrounded by eight conical shell-like ornaments: the chancel retains a trefoiled piscina, and in the south wall of the nave is a square piscina of the Norman period: the windows, some of which are decorated, contain fragments of old glass: the south wall of the nave was rebuilt and some new windows inserted in 1836, and in 1886-7 the church was generally restored at a cost of £2,110, under the direction of William White esq. F.S.A. architect, of London, when the chancel roof was renovated, a new chancel arch of oak erected, with six small windows above it, the roof of the nave renewed, a north aisle and organ chamber added to the chancel and a transept erected; the chancel was also refloored with tiles reproducing the ancient patterns, at the cost of R. S. Bagnall esq. of the Manor House, all the original tiles being collected and laid down at the east end, and the nave was reseated; three Early Norman windows, recovered during the progress of the work, were placed in the north wall, and the tower was repaired and a new roof fixed, at the cost of F. Parker esq. of Worcester; the whole restoration was carried out as a memorial to the Rev. William Parker M.A. rector 1826-84, to whose memory several stained windows have also been erected. The communion table and plate were presented by T. Byrche Savage esq. whose family were formerly patrons of the living: there are 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Comberton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Comberton, Little (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Little Comberton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.