Kyre Magna, Worcestershire
Kyre, Great, Kyre Magna, or Kyre Wyard, a parish in Worcestershire, adjacent to Herefordshire, 4 miles SE of Tenbury. It has a post office, of the name of Kyre, under Tenbury; money order and telegraph office, Tenbnry. Acreage, 1516; population, 109. Kyre House and estate is the property of the Childe family, to whom it descended in the female line from the ancient family of Pytts of Kyre. The house is of the same date as the church, with Elizabethan and Georgian additions. The estate is famous for some of the finest timber in England, and the park and grounds are beautiful, and abound in rare trees and shrubs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value,, £126. The church is chiefly of early 14th century date, with Norman wall and window, a chapel belonging to the Childe family of about 1320 date, and remains of a fresco painting of the same date. Ancient glass with the arms of Mortimer of Kyre and Wyard of Kyre Wyard was formerly in the E window.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kyre St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tenbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kyre Magna from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kyre, Great (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.