Huddington, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, on Dean Brook, 4¼ miles SSE of Droitwich. Post town, Droitwich. Acreage, 981; population, 81. Huddington Hall, a fine Elizabethan moated mansion, was formerly the residence of the Winter family, two of whom were concerned in the Gunpowder Plot. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £70. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot. The church is chiefly Perpendicular, and contains a rood-screen, a piscina, and a tablet to Sir George Winter who died 1658; it has an open belfry. A handsome reredos, in memory of a former vicar of the parish-subject, "The Last Supper"-was erected in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Huddington St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Droitwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Huddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Huddington (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Huddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.