Hanley William, Worcestershire
Hanley William or Upper Hanley, a parish in Worcestershire, adjacent to Herefordshire, and near the river Teme, 4 miles SE of Newnham Bridge station on the Tenbury and Bewdley branch of the G.W.R., and 7 SE of Tenbury. Post town, Tenbnry. Acreage, 1165; population, 114. Hanley Court is the chief residence. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Eastham, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is of the 10th century, and was restored in 1866.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hanley-William All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Tenbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hanley William from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hanley-William (All Saints))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Hanley William are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.