Hanbury, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands near the Worcester and Birmingham Canal 2 miles SSE of Stoke Works station on the M.R., 4 ENE of Droitwich, and 5 SSE of Bromsgrove. It has a post office under Bromsgrove; money order office. Stoke; telegraph office, Stoke Works railway station. The parish comprises 7790 acres; population of the civil parish, 877; of the ecclesiastical, 855. Hanbury Hall is the seat of the lord of the manor. The mansion was built in 1701. Mere Hall is an ancient county seat. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £475. The church stands on an eminence commanding a fine view, is an ancient edifice, with a tower, was repaired in 1860, and enlarged in 1861, and contains monuments of the Vernons. Roman coins and other relics have been found near the church. There is a chapel of ease at Woolmer Green, and a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hanbury St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Droitwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hanbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hanbury (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Hanbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.