Hampton Lovett, Worcestershire
Hampton Lovett, a parish in Worcestershire, 1½ mile NW of Droitwich. Post town, Droitwich. Acreage, 2041; population of the civil parish, 185; of the ecclesiastical, 214. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £298 with residence. Patron, Lord Hampton, who is lord of the manor. The church is chiefly Perpendicular, with some Norman traces, and was restored in 1858. The lower stage of the tower forms the south porch; in the north chapel is a monument to Sir John Pakington (died 1551), also to another Sir John Pakington (died 1727), who is considered to have been Addison's Sir Roger de Coverley, and to other members of the family. A beautiful cross in the churchyard was restored in 1849 in memory of Lady Pakington. The manor has been in the hands of the Pakington family since the reign of Henry VIII. The ninth baronet was created Lord Hampton in 1874.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hampton-Lovett St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Droitwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hampton Lovett from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hampton-Lovett (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Hampton Lovett are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.