Lawhitton, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands near the river Tamar, which divides Cornwall from Devonshire, 3 miles SE of the Launceston stations on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. It was once a market-town, and has a post office under Lannceston; money order and telegraph office, Lannceston. Acreage, 2648; population, 361. A palace of the bishops of Exeter was here, but has disappeared. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £330 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There is a parish council for that portion of the parish which lies outside the municipal borough of Launceston.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lawhitton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Launceston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lawhitton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lawhitton (St. Michael))
Online maps of Lawhitton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.