Grimley, a parish in Worcestershire, on the river Severn, 4 miles NNW of Worcester. It has a post office under Worcester; money order office, Hallow; telegraph office, Ombers-ley. Acreage, 2471; population, 575. Thorngrove, Elm Hill, and Sinton Court are chief residences, and the former, for several years prior to 1814, was occupied by Lucien Bonaparte. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value,, £270 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church has a Norman doorway, is partly Early English, partly Perpendicular, contains some very ancient stained glass, and was restored in 1886. Bishop Hooper was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Grimley St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Martley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Grimley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Grimley (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Grimley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.