Fladbury, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands on the river Avon, 3 miles E of Pershore, and has a station on the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Pershore. The parish includes the hamlet of Hill and Moor, and the chapelries of Wyre Piddle and Throckmorton. Acreage, 5995; population of the civil parish, 1443; of the ecclesiastical, 1185. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelries of Wyre Piddle and Throckmorton, in the diocese of Worcester; net yearly value, £900 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church dates from the 15th century, and contains some interesting monuments. The chancel was restored in 1865, and has a good stained glass east window, a piscina and sedilia. The church was restored in 1871. There is a chapel of ease at Lower Moor. The ancient churches of Wyre Piddle and Throckmorton have recently been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fladbury St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Pershore|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1549.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient and noble edifice of stone, chiefly (with the exception of the Norman base of the tower) of the 15th century, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and embattled western tower with pinnacles and containing a clock and 6 bells: in 1865 the chancel was entirely restored, under the direction of Mr. F. Preedy, by the Rev. John Haviland M.A. then rector, and John Cartwright esq. of Craycombe House, who presented the stained east window: the chancel retains a double piscina with canopies supported by a central pillar: in the aisles are some ancient tiles, both lettered and numbered, probably of the 16th century; in the south wall is another stained window to the Rev. F. Gauntlett, a former rector, and there are several other memorial windows, two of which exhibit the arms of seven knights slain at the battle of Evesham, Aug. 4, 1265: in 1871 the body of the church was restored, re-pewed and re-decorated: a reredos of alabaster and mosaic, with figures of angels, by Boulton, of Worcester, extends across the whole east end: the church contains a fine altar tomb of polished Purbeck marble, with brass effigies and shields, to John Throckmorton (sub-treasurer of England), ob. 1445, and Eleanor (de Spineto) his wife and Thomas, their son; a marble monumental tablet to John, son of Arthur Charlett esq. 1710; marble tablet, and bust to Elizabeth Charlett, daughter of the same, 1746; half effigy in brass, wearing cope, to Thomas Morden LL.B. treasurer of St. Paul's, London, and rector here 1458; half effigy, wearing chasuble and hood, in brass, to William Plewme A.M. rector, 1504; brass with effigy to Edward Peyton esq. 1488: a memorial with arms and inscription to Godith, wife of Robert Olney esq. and another to John Darby, 1609; at the restoration of the chancel in 1865, the large marble monument to William Lloyd, successively Bishop of St. Asaph, Coventry and Lichfield, and Worcester, which stood on the north side of the chancel, was dismembered, the inscribed slab being transferred to the vestry, and the half-length effigy of the prelate placed high up against the wall, under an arched canopy, supported by marble shafts: he died Aug. 30, 1717; there are monumental tablets of the Perrot family on the walls of the nave, dated from 1806 to 1837; the stone font was presented by Mrs. Margaret M. Pruen.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fladbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fladbury (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Fladbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cHill and Moor
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.