UK Genealogy Archives logo

Defford, Worcestershire

Historical Description

Defford, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, on the river Avon, 3 miles SW of Pershore, with a station on the M.R., and a post office under Pershore; money order office, Eckington; telegraph office, at the railway station. There is a working men's institute. Acreage, 1691; population of the civil parish, 401; of the ecclesiastical, 579. Defford Common is an extensive waste, and contains three very large ancient oak trees. The living is a vicarage, united with Besford chapelry, in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £270 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church, ancient, was restored in 1865.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWorcestershire 
HundredPershore 
Poor Law unionPershore 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Defford from the following:


Land and Property

The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.


Maps

Online maps of Defford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictWychavon
CountyWorcestershire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtWR8
Post TownWorcester