Crowle, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, adjacent to a branch of the river Avon, 5 miles ENE of Worcester. There is a post office under Worcester; money order office, Worcester; telegraph office, Spetchley railway station. Acreage, 1735; population, 526. The manor belonged to Worcester Abbey, and Crowle House, a moated building, was the abbot's seat. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £281 with residence. The church is chiefly Early English, and was rebuilt in 1882; it contains a curious Early English marble lectern.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Crowle St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Droitwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Crowle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Crowle (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Crowle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.