Cropthorne, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands on the river Avon, 1½ mile SSE of Fladbury station on the G.W.R., and 3½ miles E by S of Pershore, and has a post office under Pershore; money order office, Fladbury; telegraph office, Fladbury railway station. Acreage, 1538; population, 367. There is an iron bridge over the Avon. The manor belonged to the Dineley family, and passed to the Hollands. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £243 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is Perpendicular, and has some Norman arches; it contains some curious monuments to the Dineley family. The chancel was rebuilt and the tower thoroughly repaired in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cropthorne St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Pershore|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cropthorne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cropthorne (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Cropthorne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.