Clifton on Teme, Worcestershire
Clifton-Upon-Teme, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands on the top of a hill, 500 feet above the river Teme, 5 miles N of Knightwick station on the Worcester and Brownyard branch of the G.W.R., and 11 NW of Worcester, was once a market-town and a borough, and has a post and money order office under Worcester; telegraph office, Stanford Bridge. The parish comprises 2976 acres; population, 454. Woodmanton, an ancient manor house, now a farmhouse, stands near the village. Ham Castle, the seat of the Jefferies family, suffered great injury during the Civil War, and was completely burnt in 1887. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £131. The church is mainly Early English and Decorated, with a massive tower and spire, and has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clifton-upon-Teme St. Killom|
|Poor Law union||Martley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clifton on Teme from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Clifton-upon-Teme (St. Killom))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Clifton on Teme are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.