Clent, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, 4 miles SE of Stourbridge, and 6 NW of Bromsgrove, with a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stourbridge. The parish comprises the hamlets of Upper and Lower Clent. Acreage, 2424; population, 997. Clent House is the seat of the Amphlett family. The Clent Hills have broad slopes and pleasant hollows, and form a fine foil to the Black Country of Warwickshire. Kenelm, King of Mercia, was murdered here at Cowdale in 819 by his sister Quendrida. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net. value, £245 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Early English with some Norman remains, and was restored in 1865. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A convalescent home in connection with the Order of Foresters was erected in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clent St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Bromsgrove|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clent from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clent (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Clent are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.