Cleeve Prior, Worcestershire
Cleeve Prior or Priors Cleeve, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, on the river Avon, at the boundary with Warwickshire and Gloucestershire, 3 miles E of Bidford station on the East and West Junction railway, and 6 miles NE of Evesham, with a post office under Evesham; money order and telegraph office, Bidford. Acreage, 1521; population, 292. Limestone and blue lias are quarried. Gold and silver Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is Early English, with a square tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Prior Cleeve St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Evesham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cleeve Prior from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cleeve, Prior (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Cleeve Prior are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.