North Claines, Worcestershire
Claines, North, a parish in Worcestershire, 2 miles N of Worcester. It was separated in 1885 from the old parish of Claines, the remaining portion of which was formed into a separate parish, South Claines, which is within the city of Worcester. It includes the hamlets of Fernhill Heath, Bevere, Astwood, Northwich, and Tapenhall. At Fernhill Heath is a station on the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Worcester. Area of the parish, 3403 acres; population, 1828. Perdiswell Hall is a chief residence. Bevere is a handsome seat near the river Severn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £243 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church belongs to the Perpendicular period, and was restored in 1887; it contains many ancient monuments. The Worcester cemetery is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Claines St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Droitwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Claines from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Claines (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of North Claines are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cFernhill Heath
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.