Chaceley or Chaseley, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, on the river Severn, 3 miles SW of Tewkesbury. There is a post office under Tewkesbury; money order office, Corse Lawn; telegraph office, Tewkesbury. Acreage, 1763; population, 255. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester, in the gift of the Vicar of Longdon; net value, £158 with residence. The church is old, and was restored in 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chaseley St. John The Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Tewkesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chaceley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chaseley (St. John The Baptist))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Chaceley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.