Castle Morton or Morton Foliot, Worcestershire
Castle-Morton or Morton-Foliot, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, under the Malvern Hills, 4½ miles SW by W of Upton-on-Severn, and 3½ S by E of Malvern Wells station on the M.R., with a post office under Tewkesbury; money order office, Welland; telegraph office, Malvern Wells. Acreage, 3701; population, 720. A castle of the De Montes stood here, but lias long since disappeared. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £300. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is ancient, with a Norman doorway, and was restored in 1880, and a chapel of ease for the outlying portions of Castle-Morton and Berrow was erected in 1869 at the point where the dioceses of Worcester, Gloucester and Bristol, and Hereford meet. There is an almshouse for poor persons.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Castle-Morton St. Gregory|
|Poor Law union||Upton-upon-Severn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castle Morton or Morton Foliot from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Castle-Morton (St. Gregory))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Castle Morton or Morton Foliot are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.