Broadwas, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, on the river Teme, 3½ miles from Knightwick station on the G.W.R, and 6 W of Worcester, under which there is a post office; money order office, Knightsford Bridge; telegraph office, Suckley railway station. The parish includes the hamlet of Broadgreen. Acreage, 1108; population, 295. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £216 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is partly Norman of the Transition period, partly Early English and Decorated. The chancel is paved with ancient heraldic tiles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Broadwas St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Martley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broadwas from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Broadwas (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Broadwas are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.