Bockleton, a parish in Worcestershire and Herefordshire, 5 miles S of Tenbury, and 8 E by N of Leominster. It includes the hamlet of Hampton Charles. Post town, Tenbury, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 2755; population of the civil parish, 238; of the ecclesiastical, 319. Bockleton Court is the seat of the lord of the manor. Bricks and drain-pipes are manufactured at Hampton Charles. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £134 with residence. The church, which has been restored, is partly Norman, partly of the Decorated period; it has two Norman doorways, and a 16th century altar tomb. There is a mortuary chapel which belongs to the lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bockleton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Tenbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bockleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bockleton (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Bockleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cQuinton (Bockleton)
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.