Birlingham, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, on the river Avon, 1¼ mile E of Defford station, and the same distance W of Eckington station on the M.R., and 2½ miles SSW of Pershore, under which there is a post office, and at which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1272; population, 309. Birlingham House, the Court House, and the Manor House are the chief residences. The living is annexed to the rectory of Nafford, in the diocese of Worcester; gross joint value, £180 with residence. The church is mainly modern, but has a Perpendicular tower. The Norman chancel-arch has been re-erected in the churchyard. There are 8 almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Birlingham St. James|
|Poor Law union||Pershore|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Birlingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Birlingham (St. James))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Birlingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.