Bayton, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, on the verge of the county, 3 miles S of Cleobury Mortimer, and 7 W by S of Bewdley, under which there is a post office; money order and telegraph office, Cleobury Mortimer. Acreage, 2257; population, 421. Shakenhurst Hall, a mile distant, is a plain red brick mansion situated in an extensive park. Coal is obtained. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Mamble, in the diocese of Hereford; joint net value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, dedicated to St Bartholomew, was originally Norman, and has an embattled tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bayton St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Cleobury-Mortimer|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1564.
Church of England
St. Bartholomew (parish church)
The church of St. Bartholomew is a building of stone with some remains of Norman work, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells: the church was restored in 1905 at a cost of £2,000, the grater part of which sum was given by the late C. W. Wicksted esq. of Shakenhurst Hall: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bayton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bayton (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Bayton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cClows Top
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.