Alfrick, a township-chapelry in Suckley parish, Worcestershire, near the river Teme, 7¼ miles W of Worcester. Acreage, 1648; population, 375. The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory of Suckley. The church is a small plain stone edifice, and was restored in 1885. Alfrick is pleasantly situated amid woods and hills. Old Storridge Hill, in the vicinity, is 732 feet high.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Martley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1655, but some entries relating to this place are in the registers of Buckley.
Church of England
St. Mary and Holy Cross (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a small and plain building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, south porch, vestry and a wooden tower at the west end with a small spire, and containing 4 bells: on the south side of the tower is a sundial, inscribed "On this moment hangs eternity:" the chancel retains a piscina; in 1885 the church was restored, re-seated, the roof opened out, the ancient rood screen renovated and a north transept built, at a cost of £1,500: there are 150 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Alfrick from the following:
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Alfrick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.