Woodford cum Membris, Northamptonshire
Woodford-cum-Membris, a parish, with the village of Woodford Halse and West Farndon and Hinton hamlets, in Northamptonshire, 8 miles from Daventry. It is an important junction on the M.S. & L.R. extension line to London, and is 1½ mile E from Byfield station on the East and West Junction railway. It has a post and money order office at Woodford Halse under Byfield (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Byfield. Acreage, 2806; population, 527. Woodford Manor belongs to the Earl of Ellesmere, West Farndon Manor to the Cartwright family, and Hinton Manor to the baronet family of Knightley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £183 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, which was restored in 1878, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style. It has a brass of 1400, and some good stained windows. There are Moravian and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Woodford All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Daventry|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woodford cum Membris from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Woodford (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: