Wollaston, a parish, with a village, in Northamptonshire, on the river Nene, 2¼ miles SSW of Wellingborough station on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Wellingborough. Acreage, 3045; population, 1905. There is a parish council consisting of thirteen members. The manor belongs to the Hill family. Boot and shoe making is carried on to a considerable extent, and rush mats are made from the rushes which grow in the Nene and neighbouring streams. Wollaston Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £247 with residence. The church, of 15th century date, is a large building, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, N transept, N and S porches, and a central tower with octagonal broach spire. It has been partly restored. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wollaston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wellingborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wollaston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wollaston (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wollaston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: