Wilby, a parish, with a pleasant village, in Northamptonshire, 8 miles SW of Wellingborough stations on the L. & N.W.R. and M.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Wellingborough. Acreage, 1161; population, 357. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Come family. There is an extensive brick, tile, and lime manufactory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; value, £145 with residence. The church, which stands on an eminence, is a building of stone in the Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle with porch, and a western tower with spire. It was restored in 1879. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wilby St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wellingborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wilby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wilby (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wilby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: