Wilbarston, a parish, with a village, in Northamptonshire, 3 miles N from Desborough station on the main line of the M.R., and 5½ E of Market Harborough. It has a post and money order office under Market Harborough; telegraph office, Desborough (R.S.) Acreage, 2876; population, 516. The civil parish includes part of the hamlet of Pipewell. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to the Watson family. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Stoke Albany, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net value, £190 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a tower with spire. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wilbarston All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Market-Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wilbarston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wilbarston (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wilbarston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: