Whittlebury, a parish, with a village, in Northamptonshire, 3½ miles S by W of Towcester station on the L. & N.W.R. There is a post and telegraph office under Towcester; money order office, Silverstone. Acreage, 3243; population of the civil parish, 488; of the ecclesiastical, with Silverstone, 1613. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. Whittlebury Lodge is a large country mansion with a park of 630 acres attached. Sholbrook Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage, united with Silverstone, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net value, £400. Patron, the Crown. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It was restored in 1878. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whittlebury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Towcester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whittlebury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whittlebury (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Whittlebury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: