Whiston, a village and a small parish in Northamptonshire, on the river Nene, 1½ mile SW of Castle Ashby and Earls Barton station on the Northampton and Peterborough branch of the L. & N.W.R., and 6½ miles E by S of Northampton. Post town, Northampton; money order office, Earls Barton; telegraph office, Castle Ashby. Acreage, 833; population, 67. The manor, with all the land, belongs to Lord Boston. Place House is alleged, but without any good evidence, to have been a residence of King John. The living is a rectory, with part of Denton annexed, in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £190 with residence. Patron, Lord Boston. The church is a building of stone in the Late Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a lofty embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whiston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hardingstone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whiston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whiston (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Whiston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: