Welton, a parish, with a village, in Northamptonshire, 2 miles N from Daventry, and with a station 2 miles NE on the main line of the L. & N.W.R. It has a post office under Daventry; money order and telegraph office, Daventry. Acreage, 1976; population, 412. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor, with Welton Place, standing in a park of 40 acres, belongs to the Clarke family. A tunnel, 1½ mile long, here connects the Grand Junction Canal with the Oxford Canal. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, vestry, and western tower with pinnacles. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Welton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Daventry|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Welton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Welton (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Welton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: