Weedon Leys, Northamptonshire
Weedon Leys, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Northamptonshire, 7 miles N by S of Towcester, and 3 N of Wappingham station on the Northampton and Banbury Junction railway. It has a post office under Towcester; money order office, Culworth; telegraph office, Towcester. Acreage, 2304; population, 397. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to All Souls College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £450 with residence. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient cruciform building of stone consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a central embattled tower. The hamlet of Milthorpe adjoins the village, and that of Weston is about half a mile W. Weston House is an ancient mansion of stone standing in grounds of 8¼ acres. The manor house is a chief residence. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weedon-Loys St. Peter and St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Towcester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weedon Leys from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Weedon-Loys (St. Peter and St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: