Warkton, a parish, with a village, in Northamptonshire, 1½ mile E by N of Kettering station on the M.K. It has a postal letter-box under Kettering; money order and telegraph office, Kettering. Acreage, 1924; population, 247. The manor, with all the land, belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £102 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church, which is in the Early English and later styles, contains some memorials of the Montagu family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Warkton St. Edmund|
|Poor Law union||Kettering|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Warkton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Warkton (St. Edmund))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Warkton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: