Upper and Lower Boddington, Northamptonshire
Boddington, Upper and Lower, are villages and parishes in Northamptonshire. Upper Boddington is 2¼ miles E of Byfield station on the E. & W. Junction railway, 3½ from Fenny Compton station on the G.W.R., and 10 N of Banbury. Acreage, 1792; population, 275. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £320, with residence, in the gift of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The Oxford Canal Company have a reservoir, which is situated partly in this parish and partly in the parish of Byfield. Lower Boddington is 1 mile to the south. There is a church mission-room and a small Wesleyan chapel. Acreage, 1352; population, 212. Post town for both villages, Byfield (R.S.O.), which is the money order and telegraph office.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Boddington St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Banbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1558.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and low western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: the east window is stained, and there is another memorial window in the north aisle to George Payne, d. 1883: the prayer desk is a memorial to the Rev. Thomas Golightly, rector, d. 1867: in the western entrance is an ancient wooden chest, hewn out of one piece of wood and bound with iron: there is a brass, with effigy in academic dress, to William Proctor, a former rector, ob. 1627: the oak eagle lectern was given in memory of the Rev. Edward Townsend Sale M.A. rector 1867-89; an organ was provided in 1897: in 1874 the church was new-roofed and reseated throughout, and in 1903 a further sum of £700 was spent in restoration.
There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1865.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upper and Lower Boddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Boddington, Lower and Upper (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: