Ufford, a parish in Northamptonshire, 8 miles NW by W from Peterborough, and 4½ SE by E from Stamford, with a station half a mile W of the church, on the Stamford and Wansford branch of the G.N.R. Post town, Stamford; money order and telegraph office, Barnack. Acreage, 1185; population of the civil parish, 163; of the ecclesiastical, with Bainton, 426. Ufford Hall is the property of Lord Kesteven, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The living is a rectory, united with Bainton, in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £425 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Cambridge. The church, which was partly restored in 1883, is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower with a remarkable Perpendicular font and a double E window. There is a fine monument to Lady Carre.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ufford St. Andrew|
|Liberty||soke of Peterborough|
|Poor Law union||Stamford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ufford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ufford (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: