Twywell, a parish, with a village, in Northamptonshire, 2½ miles W from Thrapston. It has a station on the branch of the M.R. from Kettering to Cambridge, and a post and money order office under Thrapston; telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 945; population, 472. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £200 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and an embattled tower. Some interesting Roman relics have been found in this parish, including a fine vase now in the British Museum.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Twywell St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Thrapston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with the Northamptonshire Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts for Northamptonshire online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Twywell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Twywell (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northamptonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Twywell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Northamptonshire papers online: